Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Running through Salt Lake City

Running through Salt Lake City

Had the opportunity to spend two days in Salt Lake City on a little business trip.  Unfortunately, when my plane landed at 5pm, it was 97 degrees outside.  Regardless, I still laced up the Free's and went for a run.  Asking the lady working the front desk of my hotel where to run, she directed me to the Murray Parkway Trial which happened to be only a block from where I was staying.
I was told that this was a nice, paved run that runs along a river that runs through the entire valley for miles and miles.  I was also told that it was probably the coolest (temperature wise) spot in the valley as well.  So I thought, what the heck.
I took a quick jog on down to where I would be joining the trail and made a little loop down through the tunnel.  There were several tunnels along the trail and each was decorated with some urban artwork...if you know what I mean.
Once through the tunnel, I ran along a nicely paved trail.  There were a few runners out as well as bicyclists.  In the below shot, you can see the trail as it runs along the river.  You can kind of see the river in the background.
The trail continues on and I eventually get to a marsh area.  As I approach, I notice that the trail turns into a planked trail.
This wound on for a good half to three quarters of a mile.  It wound on through tall grasses, trees,  and wetlands. 

Toward the end of the tall grasses, came more of the wetlands, and I think we were actually running over water at this point.  I still had the planked trail, but now there were railings to keep me safe.
It was very nice and cool, probably a mid 80's type of day at this point in the shade.  But not too bad at all.
After getting off of the planked trail, I ended back on the paved surface.  We slowly work our way close to the water, and further away, and close again.  At a couple points, you actually cross the river.

There were numerous planked bridges over the river.  And the river itself was flowing nicely.

All in all, it was a nice little find that I did a couple of times in the two days I was there for about 4 miles per run.  Always good to get out and hit the pavement.

Happy Running!
Dave

#running  #saltlakecity #vegan #therunningfisherman

No comments:

Post a Comment