Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Indianapolis Canal District Run and Dinner

Got into Indianapolis for a fishing tackle buying group show.  When I arrived, I had a chance to do a little running tour of downtown Indianapolis and the Canal District.  What a great little running town.  After starting from my hotel, I passed the Capital building.

Once you pass the capital building, its about another block or so to the actual Canals of the Canal district.  This is an awesome running area, with a good deal of runners and walkers out getting some sun and excercise. You can rent kayaks, or even go for a romantic gondola ride. More fun to get all sweaty and run around though!



You can run on both sides of the Canal and make a good, close to three mile loop if you'd like.  I didn't do the loop, but exited the Canal at 10th Street and headed over to the White River Wapahani Trail.  This wasn't as exciting as I was hoping it would be.  Paved, and not real good on the N /W side of the river. Though the trail wasn't too exciting, I did manage to see some pretty cool things.  One was this cool, old bridge that I had to cross.
From there you sort of continue on a few different driving streets and wind your way through the Purdue University campus.  Made me feel pretty old.
I did pass a cool little NY Sept 11 memorial.  Looks like it is beams from what were the WTC buildings.
This just about completed my loop.  Here is map of my rout.  A little under 5 miles on this one.
Since I'm new to the whole blogging thing, I had some requests to also add in some of my dining adventures.  I see quite a few odd things while traveling the country, and find some pretty unique places to eat.  Being a traveling Vegan, dining options are sometimes a little difficult. I'll do my best to add photos of places I find, and what I eat into my blogs.
This night I found a little place called Creation Cafe.  I didn't really find it, but one of the front desk girls pointed me in this direction. 
This was a good little find.  Not a lot of Vegan options in Indianapolis, and this was more vegetarian than vegan, but sometimes you just need to choose your battles.
The first thing that caught my eye was something called Portobello Fries.  Sliced Portobello's, breaded and fried.  Probably not the healthiest of items, so I only ate a few.  The sauce was a wasabi dipping sauce, and most likely...not so vegan.
For an entree I opted for the Black Bean Burger w/ guacamole and grilled red peppers and mixed green salad with fresh ginger dressing.  Pretty darn good.
Anyhow, that is just a quick recap of an afternoons run in Indianapolis and a pretty solid meal to follow it up.
Good running!
Dave

1 comment:

  1. The mushrooms look good! Hope you don't mind, I linked you on my Blog list . . . it helps me see when blogs I follow are updated.

    ReplyDelete