Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Awesome Marathon! Santa Monica CA Sep 23 2012

The Awesome Marathon Santa Monica CA Sep 23, 2012

I had a chance to get involved and run in a neat little event this weekend.  A friend of mine told me to check out www.rocketracingproductions.com.  They offer pretty cool, small format, weekly, or close to it, races.  The event I got involved with was called The Awesome Marathon.  In consisted of a 10 Miler, Half Marathon, Marathon, and Ultra.  Being a wimp, I decided to join the 10 miler just to get my feet wet with the group.  I only found out about the event last Wednesday, and thought what the heck.  I registered that day, and got all set up.
Sunday was the day of the event.  Registration started at 6am and the race began at 6:30.  For those who have entered any big races, 30 minutes doesn't seem like a lot of time to pick up your bib and get registered.
Here is a shot of the registration area.


Well the best part about these events is the small amount of participants.  My goal for this race was to come in the top 100.  I think I was able to accomplish that as there were only about 50 people running. 
Here is a shot of the pre-race rundown and instructions.  It was sort of a run to here, turn around, run to there, turn around sort of thing.  Fun and intimate.
 Just prior to the 6:30 race start, I got my bib and was ready to go. Don't mind the numbering system, as I don't really think it meant anything.
On last look up at the morning sky, and we were on our way.
There were a few possible loops that you can run depending on what exact race you were running.  My 10 mile loop was fairly simple.  Run south along the beach and turn around before you get to Venice.  Then run back to the start completing a 2.2 mile loop.  Then run north along the beach for about 4 miles and turn around and come back to the start.  This will give you your 10 mile loop.  Sounds pretty basic, and it was awesome.  Little signs along the sand or chalk lines written along the bike, running path.
Here is a quick and blurry shot from right at the start.  This is on the southbound loop.
Once you get down to the designated turn around for the 10 milers, you head on back to the start.  There you can grab water or a snack.
Here is a shot of me as I get back to the start line.


Once you pass the start line again, you begin your 4 mile out and back.  Here is a shot just passing the starting line heading north and looking toward the world famous Santa Monica Pier.  You can see the Ferris Wheel off in the distance. 

After about a half mile or so, you get a better shot of the pier. Here you can see the Ferris Wheel, Roller Coaster, etc.

Once you pass the pier, you just kind of keep running for another 3 miles or so.  This is from about a mile past the pier looking toward Malibu and the edge of the Santa Monica Bay.
Just keep on winding along and you eventually get to the end of the running/bike path.  This is an open format, so there are no spectators, no cowbells, and no one around as you can see from the shot above and below. 
In fact, there weren't a lot of people around at all. You kind of run at your own pace, and just keep on going.  You cant miss the turn around as they do have a table at the end with refreshments and snacks.  Good place to stop and stretch if you'd like.  The shot above is just before getting to the end of the road.

Here is a quick shot from just before the turn around, about 4 miles from the Santa Monica Pier.  You can see it in the distance.

We had a beautiful morning, and great weather.  It did get a little warm once the sun finally made its way out, but not too bad at all.  As I mentioned, this was an out and back course, so you do see the same places on your way back.
Here is a quick shot of me coming into the finish.  I finished in 2 hours 18 minutes.  Slow jog today.


Once you get to the end of the course, every finisher gets a medal.  I was in a hurry to get back to my car as the parking meters start at 9am, and I was chit chatting after the race and almost forgot about it. 
Anyhow, here is a shot of my finishing medal, from in the car. 

All in all, this was a fun little race.  I definitely think I'll be getting involved in more and more of these events.  The price is right at $28 compared to upwards of $150 for some of the big races.  Good bunch of runners, and everyone was cheering each other on as you'd pass them on the paths.

The part about the whole thing was that I had a top 5 finish!  I actually came in 3rd place.  That probably sounds good except that there were only 4 people in my division.  Oh well!

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment